55 Liberty Street, Manhattan
Conversion to residential use of a 33 story, 175,000sf store and office building in the Financial District. Designed by Henry Ives Cobb, Architect in a neo-Gothic Style and constructed with a terra-cotta and stone facade in 1909. Liberty Tower is one of the early romantic skyscrapers which changed the skyline of lower Manhattan.
In 1978, the conversion of Liberty Tower introduced residential use to the Financial District. Joseph Pell Lombardi, as both architect and investor, conserved the exterior, designed the interiors, reinstated missing historic elements, and converted the building into 89 residential units on the upper floors and retail stores on the first floor, mezzanine and cellar.
Landmarks Preservation Commission and Board of Standards & Appeals approval.