Jefferson Market Library
Greenwich Village, Manhattan
Restoration and conservation of the exterior of the Jefferson Market Library. Designed by Calvert Vaux & Frederick Withers in an neo-Venetian Gothic style and constructed in 1874 in an asymmetrical form with polychromatic materials, pinnacles, gables and stained glass windows. The building originally was used as a Courthouse, it was adapted into a library in 1967.The 172-foot pyramidal turret with clocks on all four sides once served as a fire watch tower with an alarm bell.